Thursday, January 10, 2013

2 months & must haves.



On December 17th, Linley girl turned 2 months old! I can't even believe it. It feels like just yesterday she was an itty baby, but like she has been here forever at the same time. At her 2 month appointment, she was 10.2 pounds (34%) and 23.75 inches (91%). So she is long and little, but I think she will be much bigger by her next appointment.

Sweet girl even survived the dreaded shots. She had no idea what was coming.

I love when I see other momma's put together little lists of must-haves for their babes, so I can kind of know what I may need in the future, so I decided to do the same! These things got us through the first few sleepless nights with our girl and we seem to have worked out a nice routine with them so far!



1 & 2 month must haves!


-Lanolin. If you are breastfeeding, buy it. Period. It's the best $10 you will ever spend.
-Belly Bandit. I don't even know how I found out about this, but I'm so glad I did. Basically the second after I got a shower at the hospital, I put this on. How do you moms even sit up on your own without one?! The website claims it helps you to lose weight, but I don't even believe that. I love it because I felt like it kept my abs together and made sitting SO much easier.

-sleep sheep. This thing is no joke. We turn it on while getting L ready for bed and she is out in minutes. And Landon and I honestly kind of love it too. In fact I made Landon sleep in another room one night when we thought he may be sick and he asked if he could take it with him:)
-boppy. Some moms love these, and some hate them. I loved mine, and have no idea how moms do it without one at first. I still use it at home and Linley even does a little tummy time/sit up practice with it.
-swaddleme. Ahh can't say enough good things about the swaddleme. We were given one as a gift and immediately went put and got more. They are SO much easier than a swaddle blanket, especially in the middle of the night when you just want to go back to sleep, not mess with the folding of a blanket. Little girl loves them and the combo of this and the sleep sheep puts her to sleep in a jiff.
-nap nanny. This is kind of pricey, but was SO great to use that first month when I didn't want her too far away and worried that she would choke on her spit-up, because the girl can certainly spit-up with the best of them. We still use it now-especially while I'm getting ready and want her to be able to sit up and see me.
-baby einstein play mat. If you don't have a lot to spend on baby gear, I would say make a mat one of your big purchases! It was one the first toys we tried out with Linley and now she really loves it because she can grab and swat at the toys that hang down. We play on our mat everyday still:)
-boppy noggin. And last but CERTAINLY not least we have the boppy noggin. At about 2 weeks, Linley started sleeping for at least 5 hours straight, up to eat, then back to sleep for 4 more hours. At around 3-4 weeks she was going about 6-7 hours, up to eat, then back down for 2-3 more hours. All of this sleeping was amazinggg to new parents, but I noticed quickly it was all done on the back of her head. And every time I tried to turn it she would either wake up, or move it right back. Over thanksgiving, I noticed her head was starting to become a little flat in the back. I didn't like it. So I tried to up the tummy time, and make sure naps were on her side, but I still couldn't do anything about my great back sleeper. I brought it up to her doc at her 2 month appointment and she said it was def flat, but to only worry about it if it was still that way after four months. After 4 months they send babies for a doc band. No thanks. Those things are crazy expensive, so as soon as I got home from the doctor I started looking up alternatives to just increased tummy time and head rotating. I started reading tons and tons of reviews for similar products on amazon and ultimately decided on this one. I had it overnighted so we could have it before our long 6 hour car trip to Abilene at Christmas, because I had read spending lots of time in carseats accentuates the problem. After about a week of using it I could tell SO much difference. It's been about 3 weeks of using it so far and there has been so so much improvement. I make her use it everywhere; play mat, swing, nap, even at night even though it says not too only because she doesn't move around when she sleeps and can't turn from back to tummy yet. As soon as she can I will only let her use at naps when I can supervise. We go back to the doctor for a 3 month check-up just to have her re-weighed and I am going to have the doc check her head again. Hopefully she will see the improvement! Hands down, probably best $15 spent on Linley ever.


1 comment:

  1. I will have to definitely get the Noggin Nest if my next baby is a back sleeper too. We had a bit of a "flat head" problem at that age too! Thankfully, J's has sorted itself out for the most part and the pedi isn't concerned with it at all. She NEVER sleeps on her back now, but I remember how much work it was trying to get on her side for naps or playing! Haha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...