Wednesday, April 20, 2011

How 'bout I Make a Side Dish?

After posting my recipes page this weekend,
I realized something.
Besides the fact that I make way too many desserts.

I don't make side dishes.
Sure, I'll throw in some steamed broccoli,
but that's hardly preparing anything.

So I made it my goal this week to incorporate a side dish that takes
something more than a micro.

I am on day 3 today,
and have already made 2.
Let's hope this continues.
I'm a little doubtful.

While I was babysitting Monday,
H was down for a nap and I settled in to watch food network.
Paula Dean was on.
I can't decide how I feel about her,
but she caught my eye when she was cooking this.

I substituted yellow squash for the zucchini,
because that's what I had and I didn't want to go to the store.
That makes a recipe a winner for me.

Paula Dean

1/2 stick butter, melted
2 pd chopped zucchini
3 eggs
1/2 c evaporated milk
2 tbsp bread crumbs
1/2 c onion
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
dash of tobasco
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 c parmesan

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine melted butter and zucchini in saucepan.
Cover and cook over low heat for about 5-7 minutes.
While that is cooking,
combine eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion,
Worcestershire, tobasco, salt, pepper, and parmesan.
After zucchini are tender,
let cool and then combine with egg mixture.
Top with more parmesan,
pour into casserole dish,
and bake 35-40 minutes.





And Landon made some delish burgers to go with!


On to day 2.
I was once again babysitting, with the little one asleep,
scouring the Internet for tasty sides,
when I found this.

I already had the asparagus,
so this was another no brainer for me!

How Sweet It Is

1 bunch of asparagus
2 egg whites
1/4 flour
1 c panko breadcrumbs
1/4 c parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425.
Snap off tough ends of the asparagus.
Place egg whites on one plate,
panko, parmesan, and flour on another.
Coat each spear with eggs, then flour mix.
Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet, and spray with nonstick spray.
Place coated spears on rack,
bake 15 minutes.




I couldn't find my Panko ANYWHERE,
though I'm not surprised considering 
just opening the food cabinet,
all of this poured out.
We should be on Cereal Hoarders.
And honestly, 
what married couple buys corn pops and trix for themselves.

Anyway, couldn't find the Panko,
so I used Italian bread crumbs.
They tasted awesome, but didn't get as dark as the Panko will.

I paired them with some tortellini,
and it was an easy, scrumptious meal!

Wondering what Landon thought of them?
Well he's always wanting to eat "healthy"
so any veggie I fix, he likes.

But these.
These were a hit.
He kept walking back and forth from the kitchen,
grabbing and shoveling them in.
Asking if they were healthy.
Hilarious.

He even got so pumped,
he tried to be Lady and the Trampish with them.
Biting off an end and then trying to get me to eat the other end.

So I asked him, "Babe, are you trying the be like Lady and the Tramp?"

He promptly let me know, "Girl, I only being a Tramp; I ain't no lady."
Then shoveled more in.
Okk then.

So, I'm guessing this recipe is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...