Monday, March 14, 2011

Rut.

I am in a rut.
A food rut.
I have been rotating out the same 10-12 meals over the last few weeks and I am so over them.
Seriously, this is ridiculous.

In order to add a little spice to my life, 
I spent the better part of Friday morning perusing food blogs 
and I know I say this every other blog, but I am IN LOVE. 
Again.
Are you surprised?
This girl and her blog have got to be my favorite when it comes to cooking.
She is from Pittsburgh, so I can pretend like I know her right?
Well, all I can say is she's amazing and I have picked out ten new recipes I am going to try.

And to make all my food dreams come true, LB and I headed out to Trader Joe's on Saturday and spent an arm and possibly two legs on fresh produce and more risotto than I have ever eaten in my entire life.

Although we had to endure this monstrosity coming home, it was worth it.
And the this that I am referring to here,
happens to be what I believe is the 2nd largest
St. Patrick's Day Parade in the USA.
Which occured in downtown Pittsburgh.
The word nightmare is an understatement.
 And I didn't even know people really celebrated St. Patrick's Day.
Especially not on March 12th.

We also had to listen to this
 but I secretly kind of liked it.

So anyway, here is the first recipe on the list.
I even bought my very first bottle of cooking wine for it.
Look at me getting out of my rut.

Take this
 and throw in some chicken..
And make...

4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
1/3 c flour
2 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter
1/4 onion, chopped
2 c sliced mushrooms
1/3 c white wine
bread of your choice
salt and pepper

Season chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.
Heat a large skillet on medium high and add olive oil.
Brown chicken in skillet for about 3-4 minutes per side.
Slice onion as chicken is cooking, and get your bread ready.
You can fix your bread anyway you like, with lots of herbs, or I simply toasted mine with a little butter.
Once chicken is done, set it aside on a plate.
Turn heat down to medium and add 1 tbsp butter and onion.
Saute for 1 minute.
Add 2 tbsp butter and mushrooms.
Saute until soft (about 6-8 minutes).
Add wine.
Add chicken back with mushrooms as soon as mushrooms have reached desired softness.
Serve hot with bread for dipping!
I served it with a little risotto on the side and the world's largest piece of bread.
I love me some bread.

So glad I tried this.
And thank you thank you Jessica from How Sweet It Is for posting such fabulous recipes!

And here are a few pics from the weekend.
I didn't get around to posting anything tonight separately, partly because I am being lazy, and partly because I am fresh off a Cabot Wives Dinner at PF Chang's, and although I already ate some delish orange chicken, I am stuffing my face with some chips and hot sauce. From Texas. And I have my priorities straight.

This pretty much summed up Friday night.
Isn't LB cute with his Rangers margarita??

Landon bought me some hilarious St. Patty's Day green roses.
I told him this was only time these are ever acceptable.
And even now I'm not so sure.
But it's the thought right?

We ate here and I picked up this when we walked around the mall afterwords.

So cute.
I love little coffee mugs and teacups.

That's all for now, because LB is sleepy.
He's going to West Virginia tomorrow early, so he says it's bedtime.

I promise I will return tomorrow.
With a new recipe.
I am so so excited about this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...