Thursday, February 3, 2011

Closest Thing to Mexican..

In case you didn't know,
there is NO good Mexican food in PA.
Who knew?

 I. Can't. Stand. It.
Landon and I used to go to Abuelo's at LEAST once a week. 
Don't get me wrong, there is an abundance of good Italian restaurants, but that does not not not come close to a hot basket of chips and fresh hot sauce.

In fact, when LB and I went to the grocery store last weekend, there were only 2 kinds of tortillas. And one was a Taco Bell brand. 
Sick.
No Julio's hot sauce either.
And I had to search for both in the "Hispanic" Section.
It was like half an aisle long.

Oh dear.
Looks like the only way to get our Mexican, will be for me to make it myself.
So I am so so happy mom and dad found this recipe a few years ago.
It doesn't make up for the fact that I can't enjoy Abuelo's whenever I want, but it does come close.

Spicy Chicken Enchiladas
1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cooked, shredded chicken breasts
1 1/2 c hot sauce
4 oz cream cheese
1 tbsp cilantro
1 tsp ground cumin
1-2 c shredded cheese
4 oz can green chilis
tortillas

Preheat oven to 350.
Cook onion, garlic, and oil in large skillet for about 2 minutes.
Add chicken, 1/4 c hot sauce, cream cheese, cilantro, and cumin.
Cook until heated thoroughly.
Add green chilis and cheese. (the recipe calls for 1/2 c cheese here but I do about 1c)
Spoon mixture into tortillas.
Top with hot sauce and remaining cheese.
Bake about 15-20 minutes.









And for all you Abilenians out there, wouldn't these be even better with La Popular tortillas???
I think so.

I made my own hot sauce since there was such a small selection and I will post the recipe later!



1 comment:

  1. Lauren---I made these last night! Your dad is eating them for leftovers tonight! YUM....YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...