Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chicken & Rice

Here is one of my favorite family recipes. I'm not sure where the recipe came from, because I just have it written on an old index card, but I love it!
My parents would always make this for me when I came home from school or on most Sundays.
I made it for dinner last night and it was just as yummy as I remembered.

Chicken & Rice
1 c raw rice
1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 c chopped bell pepper
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
3 c water
bone in chicken
1/2 stick of butter

Preheat the oven to 375.
You start by using either a 9x13 dish or 14x10x2. 
Spread dry, uncooked rice in your dish (I use brown rice and it tastes just as good as white). Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour over rice.
In a separate pot, mix soup, water, dry onion mix, celery, and green peppers (I also throw in onions!).
Bring that mixture to a boil.
Once the boiling has started, pour over the rice/butter mix.
The mixture will be really soupy at this point.
Add your chicken on top of the soupy mixture (I usually buy a pkg of chicken legs only because the dark meat tends to stay more moist. Plus, then you won't have to mess with cutting a whole chicken!)
Bake for 1.5-2 hours or until soup mix thickens up.



This makes a TON and even better leftovers (except not in this house, because the 2 pieces of chicken that were left are now in Landon's lunch at work:)). It would probably also be pretty good if you threw in some porkchops instead of the chicken!

(I am not sure why it looks so green in these pictures? Maybe just a weird light, but I promise it doesn't look like that in person!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...