Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bacon & Eggs... Sort of..

So I don't know how many of you have ever had Spaghetti Carbonara, but I made it last night for the first time. It was wonderful!!!
Landon LOVED it, and yes I know he loves all food, but he ate about 3 servings. If LB doesn't really like something I cook, he has 1 serving (to be polite I'm sure ;)), says it was good, and that he isn't hungry anymore. 
Last night was not a 1 serving night!

The original recipe is below (it was found here), but I changed it up a little once I started cooking.

Spaghetti Carbonara
1 pound spaghetti
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
8 slices of bacon
1 onion
1 clove of garlic
4 eggs
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley

To begin, start boiling your water for the noodles, and chopping the bacon, onion, and garlic. 
 Cook spaghetti in boiling water. Drain and toss with olive oil. After tossing the noodles with olive oil, take OFF the burner.
(I thought 1 pound was WAY too much. I cooked it all, but used about 1/2-3/4. I also used angel hair instead of spaghetti and it was delish.)

In a large skillet, cook chopped bacon until crisp. Drain and set bacon aside, but keep 2 tbsp of the bacon fat in the skillet.
(I kept 1. I just couldn't do more than that.)

Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to skillet with bacon fat. 
Add sliced onion to skillet and cook until tender. Once tender, add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
While garlic is cooking, mix Parmesan cheese with eggs. 
(I used 4 eggs and it was a big waste. I ended up using only half the mixture, so I would recommend about 2-3 eggs.)

After the garlic has been cooking for 1 minute, take skillet OFF of the burner. Find the bacon that you set aside and put it back into the skillet with the garlic and onion. Add noodles. Pour cheese/egg mixture onto noodles, and stir. 
And Voila!

I topped mine with extra Parm and parsley. The parsley isn't really necessary, but it looks pretty!

The Berg's will definitely be having this again! It was simple and it uses ingredients I usually have on hand, so no trip to the grocery store was needed!


Side notes--
**Make sure to take pots off the burner at appropriate times or you will end up with scrambled eggs in your pasta!
**At the end you will end up with everything in the skillet! Sorry if it wasn't clear enough. I am trying to break it down so it is exact. I hate when recipes just assume that you know what to do when you don't!
**Even though bacon and eggs are in this pasta, it does NOT taste like bacon and eggs. You can barely even taste the bacon. It just adds a nice flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I love cooking, but this is one thing I have never made. I might have to try it soon! I'm loving your blog, Lauren :) Can't believe you guys are in Pitt! How fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...